MAQXDA slowing down - because of big file size?

Posted 7 months ago by Stine Rüger

Post a topic
Un Answered
Stine Rüger
Stine Rüger Admin

Hi

My MAXQDA has begun slowing down and stalling a lot.

Often the program stops responding for several seconds. This happens especially when opening larger text files in my Document System. The program gets particularly slow when in the Coded Segments menu opening any segments from the larger text files or from image PDFs.

(My largest text file is about 570,000 characters (with spaces).)

It is becoming increasingly difficult to work and I worry about the long-term usability of my MAXQDA archive.

What to do?

Thank you

0 Votes

1 Comments

Stine Rüger

Stine Rüger posted 7 months ago Admin

Hi,

It's difficult to tell what is going on with your project from afar. I have seen project files with hundreds ofs PDFs running smoothley, while others take quite long for just a couple of files. The reason for this is that the perfomance depends to a large degree upon the quality of the PDF-file. If you can open them fast in another PDF-reader like Foxit, then it's almost certain that they will also be processed fast in MAXQDA because we use the same engine. If however the PDF has multiple layers or is really huge, then it will take a while to process them (with MAXQDA or any other program).

Moreover, it is advisable to not integrate PDFs that are larger then 5MB directly in the project file (most people tend to ignore the build-in-warning from what I see).

With simple text files however, there should be absolutely no performance-issues whatsoever, or at least not with just half a million characters. So there might be something else going on that we are currently unaware of.

Please contact our support team directly so that we can investigate, what the problem in your specific case is. 

Please use the contact form: https://www.maxqda.com/function-support

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment