Excluding Footnotes from MAXQDA Search Results

Posted 2 months ago by Natalia Ribeiro Lopes de Paulo

Post a topic
Un Answered
N
Natalia Ribeiro Lopes de Paulo

Dear,

My research group and I from VUB are using MAXQDA to conduct our qualitative research and would like to request assistance.

Within a set of documents, we need to search for the word "risk" (both singular and plural) and code the segments where it appears.

However, we are facing an issue: all the documents to be analyzed contain footnotes on every page that include the searched term in their text, as shown in the example in the attachment (screenshot 1 and 2)

Therefore, when performing the search within MAXQDA for "risk," we notice that the software counts and displays all occurrences of the word, including those present in the footnotes, which we would like to exclude from the search.

To address this, we tried using the "Text search & autocode" option and within it, the "Extended text search" functionality, using the term "risk" combined with "?" and "", but we were unable to exclude footnotes from the counts. (See the screenshot 3)

We also attempted to use the "none of these search items" option by inserting "risk&," but we still did not succeed.

We are unable to see the solution, so we would like to request assistance on how to resolve this issue, please.

Kind regards,

Natalia

0 Votes

3 Comments

Sorted by
Stine Rüger

Stine Rüger posted about 2 months ago Admin

Dear Natalia, 

if you have trouble upgrading, please create a ticket here Submit a ticket : MAXQDA Support 

If you send us more information about your serial number and licence, we may help you easily. 

Best regards, 

Stine 

0 Votes

N

Natalia Ribeiro Lopes de Paulo posted about 2 months ago

Dear Stine,

Thank you very much for the reply. However, I am having trouble updating to the latest version of Maxqda. Could you help me with this? Our version is from VUB, and even with the update option enabled, my colleague and I still have version 24.2. We followed this link to try to update: https://help.maxqda.com/en/support/solutions/articles/80001135526-how-do-i-upgrade-my-network-license-to-maxqda-24- but we were unsuccessful. Could you please guide me on this matter?

Thank you.

0 Votes

Stine Rüger

Stine Rüger posted 2 months ago Admin

Dear Natalia, 

please upgrade to MAXQDA 24.3. We have now published a function that enables you to exclude footnotes or other parts of an pdf from MAXQDA analyses. 

You find how to use it in the Part Exclude areas from PDF documents. 

Please let us know if this helps. 

Best regards, 

Stine 

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment