Pdf blanked out

Posted 26 days ago by Carl Lee Tolbert

Post a topic
Answered
C
Carl Lee Tolbert

Hello, I have several pdfs that I can no longer see even if I download. The codes are still present and searchable. Can I replace the pdf with the original and keep the codes or migrate them.

And why do you think I lost the ability to see the pdfs?

Thanks, Carl

0 Votes

Stine Rüger

Stine Rüger posted 14 days ago Admin Best Answer

Dear Carl, 

if the pdf or any file is shown grey, this means that MAXQDA has lost the connection to the document, which is saved not in the file itself but in the folder MAXQDA_Externals.
Bigger files are automatically saved in this folder to prevent that the MAXQDA project file becomes too big. 

If you delete the files in the folder MAXQDA_Externals or send the project file to another device without the external files, MAXQDA can no longer show the file. 

Please always copy the files from the external files folder when you move the project file to another device. You can use the function "Bundle External Data Files" This way all the external files for this project are saved in a zip file. At the new device you can unpack the bundle again and all the files are shown.

If you have deleted or renamed the file in the folder MAXQDA_Externals you can move the file in MAXQDA again in the external folder. 

When you open the menu External Files > List External Files you see the file name. This must be identically with the filename in the external folder. 

You find more information about external files in the manual

0 Votes

1 Comments

Stine Rüger

Stine Rüger posted 14 days ago Admin Answer

Dear Carl, 

if the pdf or any file is shown grey, this means that MAXQDA has lost the connection to the document, which is saved not in the file itself but in the folder MAXQDA_Externals.
Bigger files are automatically saved in this folder to prevent that the MAXQDA project file becomes too big. 

If you delete the files in the folder MAXQDA_Externals or send the project file to another device without the external files, MAXQDA can no longer show the file. 

Please always copy the files from the external files folder when you move the project file to another device. You can use the function "Bundle External Data Files" This way all the external files for this project are saved in a zip file. At the new device you can unpack the bundle again and all the files are shown.

If you have deleted or renamed the file in the folder MAXQDA_Externals you can move the file in MAXQDA again in the external folder. 

When you open the menu External Files > List External Files you see the file name. This must be identically with the filename in the external folder. 

You find more information about external files in the manual

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment