Categorize Paraphrases adding Code Comments

Posted 3 months ago by Bruce Baigrie

Post a topic
Answered
B
Bruce Baigrie

Hi there, 

I normally code my paraphrases as I create them. When I do this, it does not assign a code comment and so I can have a separate paraphrase for a section and a code comment. However, I wanted to try paraphrasing a document and then only code my paraphrases at the end through the categorize paraphrase tool. After completing this process, I wanted to go back and add code comments to a few codes but then noticed that all my codes have comments and that these comments are simply the paraphrases! I have no idea how to fix this, is it built into the categorize paraphrases tool?

Best,

Bruce

0 Votes

W

Wolfgang Meyer posted 3 months ago Admin Best Answer

Dear Bruce,

from a technical perspective a paraphrase in MAXQDA is a segment comment for a code called "Paraphrase". When you paraphrase a segment and then apply a code to it via the "Categorize Paraphrase" tool, the paraphrase is transferred into the code as a comment. This is because it is likely to assume that you would like to continue with the content of the paraphrase later.

In your case, you would either need to delete the comments later or code the paraphrases outside of the "Categorize Paraphase" tool.

I hope this helps! In case of any remaining questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang

0 Votes

1 Comments

W

Wolfgang Meyer posted 3 months ago Admin Answer

Dear Bruce,

from a technical perspective a paraphrase in MAXQDA is a segment comment for a code called "Paraphrase". When you paraphrase a segment and then apply a code to it via the "Categorize Paraphrase" tool, the paraphrase is transferred into the code as a comment. This is because it is likely to assume that you would like to continue with the content of the paraphrase later.

In your case, you would either need to delete the comments later or code the paraphrases outside of the "Categorize Paraphase" tool.

I hope this helps! In case of any remaining questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards on behalf of the MAXQDA support team,

Wolfgang

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment